I just finished my third weekend here in shanghai and I feel like i’m slowly getting the hang of it here. of course there was the incident last weekend where a friend and I got chased through the market by a chinese man (we were trying to compare prices at other places and he didn’t like that much, don’t worry we still got our boots) and then there was the time that we traveled all the way to Ikea finally figuring out the metro system… only to learn it closed 15min before we got there (those week day hours get you every time), not to mention I don’t think I will ever try to order pizza again without knowing SOME chinese. my personal favorite was this morning when my grocery delivery guy woke me up at 6am yabbering in chinese. after the translator called me back i learned he couldn’t get up to my apartment so I had to go let him in… in my pjs… half asleep… 17 floors below me. uggg. so it’s not perfect. but i’m learning.
my shanghai dictionary:
- Maan Coffee: two story coffeehouse with waffles and books everywhere!
- Fields: groceries delivered to your door! (well… sometimes)
- Yu Gardens: favorite spot i’ve found so far.
- Green Tea: what you drink all day every day.
- Pizza Hut: you think it’s an easy dinner, but you are wrong. so. so. wrong.
- xue bao: chinese for snowman. (if you only knew how much I hear this in a day)
random. but accurate 😉 i hope to add to it soon!